Lead Camp Counselor
Company: Wade Walker Family YMCA
Location: Stone Mountain
Posted on: November 23, 2021
As a thought-leader and best-in-class provider in education,
wellness, youth development, and community-building, The YMCA of
Metro Atlanta is one of the oldest and most essential non-profits
serving in Atlanta. Today, we're looking for you to join us as we
carry out our mission to positively impact lives and communities
across the state.
At the Y, we're an association of like-minded people (staff,
volunteers, and members), on the forefront of a movement to ensure
that everyone -- especially children -- experience an equal
opportunity to reach their full potential. In the course of a year,
we provide more than 3,000 children, ages 6 weeks through Pre-K
with high-quality literacy and STEAM-infused learning; give 58,000
youth and teens access to sports, aquatics, day and resident camps,
teen leadership development programs, and employment opportunities;
provide over 200,000 members with programs, services, and
facilities to enjoy connection and maintain wellness regardless of
age; and engage over 25,000 volunteers and donors from across
Atlanta to share in the gift of supporting their communities.
The opportunities to serve are vast, and we're looking for a
diverse mix of people, who share our values of CARING, HONESTY,
RESPECT, and RESPONSIBILITY, to join us and do their best work. Our
commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our people,
our members, and our partners. We are fully focused on equality and
believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation,
religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other wonderful
characteristics that make us different.
Nature and Scope :
Under the supervision of the Youth Development Director and in
cooperation with other staff, the Lead Counselor is responsible for
developing program-specific activities for campers. They are
responsible for achieving the goals of the day camp by assisting in
the implementation of activities which provide guidance,
leadership, values education and enjoyment for children served by
camp. The Lead Counselor is responsible for assisting the
counselor/leadership personnel and providing a safe environment.
The ideal candidate embraces responsibility, loves to engage others
and has the ability to facilitate creative activities.
- High School Diploma completed.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- 2-4 years' experience working with children in a structured
- Required certifications current First Aid/CPR;must obtain any
other certifications required for the position.
- Complete PPE and safety protocol training prior to first
- A working knowledge of computers: MS Word, MS Excel, data base
- Exemplify YMCA ideals, leadership qualities.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, work independently, problem
solve and possess effective time management skills.
- Strong customer service skills and personal commitment to
service and hospitality.
- Knowledge of the outdoors and environmental education.
- Pass a criminal background check to include a drug screen.
- Pass a Motor Vehicles Record and have own transportation.
- Preform COVID 19 safety procedures and all other necessary
protocols before, during, and post camp.
- To include: Personal temperature checks, camper and parent
temperature checks and prescreen questions, sanitation of camp
- Assure that all necessary PPE are available to provide an
effective and safe program
- Assist in planning and implementation of social distancing
programs and safety protocol which will assist in the development
of the camper physically, mentally, socially, and spiritually and
which promote YMCA values: caring, honesty, respect and
- Assist in teaching the basic skills of various programs to
campers in a safe and respectful manner.
- Assist in the social adjustment of a camper through positive
- Report to the Camp Director/Unit Leader any difficult or
- Share problems with the Camp Director/Unit Leader so they can
- Assist in facilitating proper group behavior at all times.
- Stay updated on current issues regarding camp programs.
- Promote, monitor, evaluate and ensure that all camp programs
run smoothly with a high level of service to participants.
- Maintain branch and association certifications in Metro Atlanta
YMCA New Staff Orientation and Branch off-site Emergency
procedures, Keeping Kids Safe and any other required certifications
and/or training required by the YMCA of Metro Atlanta.
- Responsible for maintaining and reporting incident/accident
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adhere to YMCA of Metro Atlanta policies and procedures.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES BASED ON NEEDS SPECIFIC TO ROLE:
- Be able to set an example and lead counselors on a daily
- Be able to maintain a safe and healthy environment for staff
- Be able to provide sound, caring and positive leadership for
- Able to maintain a safe and fun environment for children
- Provide, to everyone, extraordinary customer service to
- Be able to recognize and implement safety standards in all
- Be able to participate effectively with other staff in
implementing creative and fun camp activities for camp.
- Have a good understanding of the mission and values of the YMCA
and be able to demonstrate and teach based on those values.
- Communicate positively with parents and staff as required.
- Attend all staff camp trainings.
Ability to climb, walk, run, stoop, squat or kneel. Ability to lift
and carry equipment to appropriate destinations or affect the
carrying of such equipment. Ability to use senses which enable safe
supervision including seeing and/or hearing.
Safe, quality day camp programs that meet the YMCA goals and
objectives of providing campers with a positive growth experience.
Meets the mission of the YMCA. Helps to provide a fun, creative
experience, which reflects an enjoyment and appreciation of the out
Wade Walker Family YMCA Associated topics: beam, camp, music,
neighborhood, overnight, program, science, spring, summer,
Keywords: Wade Walker Family YMCA, Atlanta , Lead Camp Counselor, Other , Stone Mountain, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!