Lead Camp Counselor
Company: YMCA of Atlanta
Posted on: November 22, 2021
As a thought-leader and best-in-class provider in education,
wellness, youth development, and community-building, The YMCA of
Metro Atlanta is one of the oldest, most nimble and essential
nonprofits in Atlanta. Mission-bound to serve, we are an
organization designed to meet all people where, how and when they
need us. In times of peace, we are a catalyst for connection; in
times of crisis, a source of comfort and security. Join us as we
carry out our commitment to positively impact lives and communities
across the state.
The opportunities to serve are vast, and we're looking for a
diverse mix of people, who share our values of CARING, HONESTY,
RESPECT, and RESPONSIBILITY, to join us and do their best work.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our
people, our members, and our partners. We are fully focused on
equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual
orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other
wonderful characteristics that make us different.
Nature and Scope :
Under the supervision of the Camp Director/Asst. Camp Director and
in cooperation with other staff, the Program Lead is responsible
for developing program-specific activities for campers. The Program
Lead is responsible for achieving the goals of the day camp by
assisting in the implementation of activities which provide
guidance, leadership, values education and enjoyment for children
served by camp. The Program Lead is responsible for assisting the
counselor/leadership personnel and providing a safe environment.
The ideal candidate embraces responsibility, loves to engage others
and has the ability to facilitate creative activities.
- High School Diploma completed
- 2-4 years' experience working with children in a structured
- Required certifications current First Aid/CPR;must obtain any
other certifications required for the position
- Complete PPE and safety protocol training prior to first
- A working knowledge of computers: MS Word, MS Excel, data base
- Exemplify YMCA ideals, leadership qualities
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, work independently, problem
solve and possess effective time management skills
- Strong customer service skills and personal commitment to
service and hospitality
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Knowledge of the outdoors and environmental education
- Pass a criminal background and drug screening check
- Pass a Motor Vehicle Record and have your own
- Perform COVID 19 safety procedures and all other necessary
protocols before, during, and post camp.
- To include: Personal temperature checks, camper and parent
temperature checks and prescreen questions, sanitation of camp
- Assure that all necessary PPE are available to provide an
effective and safe program
- Assist in planning and implementation of social distancing
programs and safety protocol which will assist in the development
of the camper physically, mentally, socially, and spiritually and
which promote YMCA values: caring, honesty, respect and
- Assist in teaching the basic skills of various programs to
campers in a safe and respectful manner.
- Assist in the social adjustment of a camper through positive
- Report to the Camp Director/Unit Leader any difficult or
- Share problems with the Camp Director/Unit Leader so they can
- Assist in facilitating proper group behavior at all times.
- Stay updated on current issues regarding day camp
- Promote, monitor, evaluate and ensure that all day camp
programs run smoothly with a high level of service to
- Maintain branch and association certifications in Metro Atlanta
YMCA New Staff Orientation and Branch off-site Emergency procedures
and any other required certifications and/or training required by
the Metro Atlanta YMCA.
- Responsible for maintaining and reporting incident/accident
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adhere to Metro Atlanta YMCA policies and procedures.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES BASED ON NEEDS SPECIFIC TO ROLE:
- Be able to set an example and lead counselors on a daily
- Be able to maintain a safe and healthy environment for staff
- Be able to provide sound, caring and positive leadership for
- Able to maintain a safe and fun environment for children
- Provide, to everyone, extraordinary customer service to
- Be able to recognize and implement safety standards in all
- Be able to participate effectively with other staff in
implementing creative and fun camp activities for camp.
- Have a good understanding of the mission and values of the YMCA
and be able to demonstrate and teach based on those values.
- Communicate positively with parents and staff as required.
- Attend all staff camp trainings.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
This position has a primary impact on the overall effectiveness of
the Day Camp program and the success of services to the community.
The effectiveness of this position is primarily measured by the
stated satisfaction of members and ensuring a safe, clean,
controlled and fun environment in accordance with the Metro Atlanta
Ability to work actively while supervising children. Ability to
climb, walk, run, stoop, squat or kneel. Ability to lift and carry
equipment to appropriate destinations or affect the carrying of
such equipment. Ability to use senses which enable safe supervision
including seeing and/or hearing. It's fun to work in an
organization where people truly BELIEVE in what they are doing!
South Dekalb Family YMCA Associated topics: academic, county,
director, evangelism, fws, middle school, spring, summer, teen,
Keywords: YMCA of Atlanta, Atlanta , Lead Camp Counselor, Other , Decatur, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!