Patient Srvcs Specialist
Company: Emory University Hospital
Posted on: June 13, 2021
At Emory Healthcare, we integrate science and caring to change the
face of health care. Our team members are courageous individuals
who are willing to challenge the status quo and help find solutions
to complex problems. Were empowered to influence change for, and
with, our patients, their families, the community and each
As one of the leading academic medical systems, were eager to share
what we learn with hospitals around the country, and the world.
Weve got the backing, knowledge, experience and permission to lead
the way in developing new and better approaches to preventing and
treating disease, and our patients get treatments years before
Were defining a new standard of care for humankind. Are YOU ready
to join us?
- Assures provision of office functions such as patient
scheduling, reception duties, medical record preparation, clinic
statistics and report compilation, data collection and
dissemination, regarding but not limited to patient demographics
and third party payers, and all other necessary clerical and office
- Obtains and tracks authorizations.
- Collects, reconciles and prepares daily bank deposits for over
the counter cash.
- Possesses exceptional communication skills and performs
multiple tasks while remaining courteous.
- Communicates effectively and courteously with patients,
physicians and their office staff, insurance company
representatives, peers, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Exhibits excellence in customer service skills.
- Answers/places telephone calls in a prompt and professional
- Directs calls as needed, records and delivers complete and
- Schedules patients for services(s) within established
- With assistance of clinic supervisor, schedules appointments to
reduce cancellations and recapture lost visits through reschedules
- Encourages patients to adhere to treatment frequency prescribed
by the physician.
- Offers alternate appointments in the event of patient
cancellation. When necessary, modifies patient schedule to
accommodate staffing and clinic needs.
- Greets and registers patients in a timely, professional and
- Ensures thorough completion of all necessary patient forms with
appropriate signatures and copies of insurance cards.
- Validates accuracy of all information provided by patient.
- Forwards information to admission department.
- Explains outpatient policies and procedures and billing
processes to patient.
- Direct patient appropriately as needed.
- Notifies clinical staff of patient readiness.
- Monitors patient waiting time, assuring that patients do not
experience a wait for care.
- Collects patient co-payment and related fees for supplies and
services and provides receipts.
- Maintains all necessary functions of co-pay and related fee
transactions, including co-pay log/deposit slip, collection and
safe storage of monies, transmission of log with receipts to
accounting. Generates and maintains medical record.
- Prepares chart for clinician including appropriate forms for
- Files and maintain medical record chart.
- Releases medical record following approved procedures.
- Tracks and obtains ongoing insurance verification/authorization
information from payers and communicates this data to patient,
admission staff and treatment team.
- Responsible with treatment team to ensure appropriate
authorizations, prescriptions and certifications are in place prior
to patient treatment session.
- Verifies that all patient charges are entered in the system
(Therapy Source and/or HMS) by reviewing daily unbilled
- Responds to all requests for information according to
- This includes but is not limited to requests from patients,
other departments and physicians.
- Provides medical record documentation as requested by medical
record department and/or centralized billing office within 24 hours
- Discharges patients from the system.
- Audits patient chart for all required documentation.
- Prepares chart for discharge, forwards to medical records and
maintains discharge tracking log.
- Assumes responsibility for and maintains petty cash system
according to procedure.
- Maintains office and facility inventory and orders supplies as
needed, following established procedures.
- Forwards mail for distribution to main office.
- Sorts and distributes faxes, e-mail, memos, and informational
materials according to clinic guidelines.
- Files memos, updated material, etc in appropriate manuals.
- Ensures appropriate functioning of all front office
- Schedules/monitors equipment service as necessary.
- Completes day, week and month end reports and processes
following established procedures.
- As appropriate, attends and participates in clinic/management
meetings and in-service education programs.
- Participates in training and cross training of all staff.
- Ensures competency of training to maintain efficient clinic
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Adheres to policies regarding infection control, risk
management, HIPAA and corporate compliance.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Two years in medical office setting that required multi-tasking
- Knowledge of health insurance preferred.
- Basic knowledge of computers skills including but not limited
to keyboard familiarity and word processing, office procedures,
filing, verbal and written communication skills, fax, photocopy
- Customer service and interpersonal skills necessary to
communicate effectively with staff members, supportive personnel,
patients, physicians and community members required.
Keywords: Emory University Hospital, Atlanta , Patient Srvcs Specialist, Other , Atlanta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!