Senior Director, Software Engineering
Company: Cox Automotive
Posted on: April 10, 2021
Primary Location: 3003 Summit Blvd, Atlanta, GA, USA
Division: Cox Automotive
Job Level: Director/Senior Director
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Shift: Day Job
Requisition Number: 210937
At Cox Automotive, we believe in constant innovation and customer
obsessive design. We've built the largest automotive discovery
platform which drives the experience of over 65 percent of all car
buyers in the United States. We unite over 25 brands in this space,
providing an end---to---end solution to transform the way people
buy and sell cars every day. Kelley Blue Book, Autotrader and
Dealer.com being a few of the most recognized brands.
Our Engineering division is detail-oriented and extraordinarily
passionate. We thrive on designing simple and scalable solutions to
complex problems and creating leading edge software solutions for
our business. We are looking for humble, smart and hungry
individuals who are comfortable working with an agile approach to
The Senior Director, Software Engineering will lead software
engineering and quality for the Digital Retail Innovation portfolio
and is responsible for technology strategy, software engineering
oversight, code quality, release governance, process improvement,
risk mitigation, budget management, platform performance, and
hiring. S/he will be responsible for leading large-scale teams of
insourced and outsourced talent and interface with product,
solution architects, support and other engineering teams to ensure
the development of APIs and Cloud software provides strategic value
for the organization. .
- Leader: We need someone who can inspire and coach engineering
and quality directors, managers and team members.
- Technical: We need someone who has a strong foundational
knowledge of software engineering and familiarity with various
technologies such as PHP, Python, Node.js, .NET, React and
experience in delivering software and services leveraging cloud
infrastructure such as AWS.
- Communication: We need someone who can give feedback (both
positive and constructively critical). Communicate clearly and
concisely to implement leading/best practices and processes to
ensure alignment across the Engineering teams.
- Social: We need someone who knows how to work in and out of
organizational boundaries and is not difficult to work with. You
will need to positively work through situations of healthy conflict
when they occur.
- Ownership: We need someone who will own ensure our teams
continually create software that solves business problems. You will
need to ensure our teams develop software in the right way. You
will need to make sure our organization continues to improve at the
- Innovation: Promote a culture of innovation that shares
technology effectively and responsibly; you will refine and embody
a cross-functional Engineering culture that works for all
departments, encouraging knowledge transfer and professional
- Leadership and management of directors and managers responsible
for engineering and quality teams and providing overall technical
direction. Provide professional development and mentorship to
directors, managers and team members.
- Establish software engineering standards and guidelines for
software engineering organization.
- Conceives team structure and constantly seeks opportunities to
adjust team structure to maximize agility and efficiency.
- Champion communications on technology and strategic
- Drive quality through automated testing, release governance and
high platform performance
- Establish a fun, creative and enjoyable environment balanced
with strong collaboration and productivity.
- Present issues and risks, and their business impact to
management in a timely manner with proposed mitigation. Actively
seeks and removes impediments to team success regardless of where
- Human resource contributions associated with the team,
including recruiting, hiring, performance evaluation, and
- Monitor and manage budget for software engineering teams.
- Collaboration across multiple business units and functional
departments to develop and deploy solutions that address key
business initiatives, supporting new revenue opportunities.
- Inspire the division to strive for innovation, efficiency,
continual learning and a desire to search for new ideas and
- Continuously improves software development productivity,
quality, predictability, and team morale.
- Establish people management and processes to attract and retain
the best talent in the software and technology space.Skills:
- Exceptional leadership, coaching, and management skills
- Highly entrepreneurial, creative, open-minded, highly
collaborative and innovative
- Outstanding organizational, communication, interpersonal and
relationship building skills; able to work well with
- Familiarity with deploying infrastructure as code (e.g.
Terraform, AWS CloudFormation).
- Knowledge and experience in continuous delivery methodologies
like continuous integration, continuous deployment and continuous
- Advise and provide strategic recommend and alternatives for the
overall Information Technology landscape
- Technology leader with broad knowledge across all areas of
technology. With proven track record of evaluating, analyzing,
designing, implementing, leading, and monitoring effective and
efficient technology, processes to proactively improve performance
while ensuring maximum cost/benefit meets budgetary
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate and communicate
with a variety of audiences and stakeholders including, but not
limited to, Executive and Senior Management, Business
Leaders/Managers and colleagues worldwide
- Experience with business drivers and how those relate to
- Experience with the Agile approach to software engineering
- Effective communication and facilitation skills
- Ability to diagnose and resolve problems independently with
- Ability to create clear goals and foster
- Skilled in balancing risk with time-to-market objectives
- Highly self-motivated and customer-focused; bias to action
- Possess high emotional intelligence and can work across a wide
range of personalities and work styles
- Quality driven, accountability motivated manager focused on
- Ability to think big and challenge conventional ways of
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Master's degree in
Computer Science, Software Engineering or related discipline is
- 12+ years substantial engineering experience with 7+ years
leadership experience in a software development organization.
Practical experience working in Agile environments with Continuous
Integration and Continuous Delivery pipeline
- Proven ability to lead teams of 30-50 Engineers and advance
software development and testing practices.
- 20% travel Who We Are
About Cox Automotive
Theres nothing ordinary about Cox Automotive. We are people of
every background driven by our passion for mobility, innovation,
client success and community outreach. We make buying, selling and
owning (or simply using) cars easier for everyone. Touching more
than 40,000 clients across five continents, we bring together the
best brands and the best teams to propel the automotive industry
forward. Some of those team members work for our iconic consumer
brands like Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book, while others are
creating the future of automotive at industry-facing brands like
Dealer.com, Manheim and vAuto.
We are the Cox family of businesses. Weve been making our mark
since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying
true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for
growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary
divisions - Cox Communications and Cox Automotive - are driving a
new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse
broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive
transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators.
Were also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare
to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next
generation. Were looking for the talent today who will be our
leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are
today, where we hope youll be going with us, and the common purpose
that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified
applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment
without regard to that individuals age, race, color, religion or
creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy),
sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental
disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity,
citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations:
Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally
engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our
applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or
send to any Cox facility..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Cox Automotive, Atlanta , Senior Director, Software Engineering, IT / Software / Systems , Atlanta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!