Mental Health Technician- Unit 1-Nights- 7 on/7 off
Company: Northeast Georgia Health System, Inc
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Job Category:Clinical Support
Work Shift/Schedule:7 Days on 7 Days OffNortheast Georgia Health
System is rooted in a foundation of improving the health of our
communities. About the Role:Job SummaryCarries out a variety of
patient care activities and clerical tasks which support the
maintenance of the therapeutic milieu and which meet the patient's
needs for comfort and safety. Facilitates the communication process
among appropriate personnel. Must be able to maintain personal
composure when unit priorities quickly change. This position will
care for patients in the child and adolescent age groups (if
assigned to the PRN Pool this position will also care for patients
in the adult and geriatric age groups). Employee performs clinical
duties in accordance with population specific guidelines and
adheres to National Patient Safety Goals as outlined in policy and
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Licensure or other certifications:
- Educational Requirements: High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum Experience:
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Preferred Licensure or other certifications:
- Preferred Educational Requirements: Associates Degree or two
(2) years of college equivalent
- Preferred Experience: Two (2) years of hospital experience
Job Specific and Unique Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Basic Clinical Support skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality necessary in
behavioral health setting
- Effective team building skills
- Effective communication skills
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
- Obtains certain initial information from the patient and/or
guardian and documents appropriately on an assessment form.
-Information includes: initial vital signs, height and weight.
- Assists patient with unit tour and orientation to the unit,
including patient rights.
- Performs search of patient and all patient's belongings within
established Laurelwood policy.
- Assists with collection of lab specimens and prepares for
transport to lab.
- Actively participates in structuring -the milieu by interacting
with the patients and by encouraging their participation in
- Observes and documents patient's physical and mental status.
-Responds appropriately to any changes in the patient's condition
and reports such to the Charge Nurse as appropriate. Documents
observations and interventions on flow sheet and progress notes in
the patient's chart as assigned.
- Uses therapeutic communication appropriately with patients in
groups and in one-to-one situations.
- Follows designated level of observation on each patient and
records required patient checks on appropriate forms.
- Provides for patient's hygiene needs by assisting with
activities of daily living as needed.
- Provides for patient's nutritional needs by accompanying
patients to meals, observing intake, and recording significant data
on the nursing flow sheet.
- Performs other nursing activities as directed, such as:
collecting specimens following Universal Precautions, taking and
recording vital signs as ordered and reporting any significant
changes to the Charge Nurse and weighing patients and documenting
on graphics sheets.
- Assists with facilitation of nursing, lead patient groups and
- Follows throughout with the treatment team decisions in
structuring the milieu.
- Appropriately monitors use of sharps.
- Demonstrates appropriate use of seclusion and restraints.
- Demonstrates appropriate response and follow through in medical
- Handles inquiry and crisis calls, and assists with initial
assessment as Intake backup when an Intake Specialist is
- Assists with coverage of the nursing station including
answering the telephones and assisting visitors and others
accessing the facility.
- Participates in annual training for Crisis Intervention and
demonstrates competency in performing verbal and physical
interventions for out-of-control patients (Code Green).
- Transports patients to and from the Main Building, Medical
Office Building, Imaging Center, etc. for scheduled procedures,
remaining with the patient, as assigned.
- Transports lab specimens to the Main Building as assigned.
- Assists with the inventory of unit supplies, including
nourishments, and communicates any needs to the Charge Nurse.
- Assists in the discharge of all patients by entering a note and
filing historical information in unit log books.
- Acts as a facilitator in 12 step centered theme groups with
chemically dependent patients.
- Demonstrates knowledge of disease concept of addiction as
evidenced by supporting patients in their level of recovery while
strongly confronting denial.
- Demonstrates appropriate use of therapeutic communication with
chemically dependent and dual diagnosed patient's in groups and
- Weight Lifted: Up to 50 lbs, Occasionally 0-30% of time
- Weight Carried: Up to 20 lbs, Occasionally 0-30% of time
- Vision: Moderate, Constantly 66-100% of time
- Kneeling/Stooping/Bending: Occasionally 0-30%
- Standing/Walking: Frequently 31-65%
- Pushing/Pulling: Occasionally 0-30%
- Intensity of Work: Frequently 31-65%
- Job Requires: Reading, Writing, Reasoning, Talking,
KeyboardingWorking at NGHS means being part of something special: a
team invested in you as a person, an employee, and in helping you
reach your goals. -NGHS: Opportunities start here.Northeast Georgia
Health System is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not
tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color,
age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status,
protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally
protected classification or status.
Keywords: Northeast Georgia Health System, Inc, Atlanta , Mental Health Technician- Unit 1-Nights- 7 on/7 off, Healthcare , Gainesville, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...