Chief Medical Resident
Company: Piedmont Healthcare
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Internal Medicine opening in Atlanta, Georgia. This and other
physician jobs brought to you by DocCafe.com The Chief Resident in
Internal Medicine works to enhance communication between the
residents, the attending faculty, and the technical,
administrative, and clerical staff. The Chief Resident acts as an
advocate for the resident staff and promotes resident interests in
conjunction with program needs and functions. The Chief Resident
works closely with the Program Director, particularly in
coordinating resident rotation and call schedules, conferences,
orientation programs, social functions, applicant interviews,
resident involvement in student teaching, and maintaining resident
morale. Responsibilities of the Chief Resident are delineated by
the Program Director.Specific duties and responsibilities
- Maintain regular communication with the Program Director and
inform the Program Director and faculty advisors, when appropriate,
of important issues involving the resident staff.
- Maintain communication with residents in the form of meetings,
electronic or written memoranda, or by other means.
- Query the resident group about issues as requested by the
Program Director or GME office.
- Attend and participate in regular meetings with the Program
Director, Associate Program Dir, GME, and faculty and provide
feedback on issues discussed.
- Represent resident issues at Graduate Med Education Committee
- Strive to maintain morale among the resident
- In conjunction with the Program Director, arrange the yearly
resident rotation schedules, and make appropriate changes during
the year as necessary.
- Maintain and schedule daily resident work schedules, including
on-call coverage and coverage for unexpected absences.
- Coordinate resident vacation and meeting/conference time in
accordance with departmental and institutional policies.
- Assist the Program Director and Residency Coordinator in
scheduling the annual in-training examination (ITE).
- Assist in scheduling and coordinating intra-departmental
conferences and other departmental events. Ensure that the resident
staff is aware of up-coming responsibilities to present at various
- Facilitate resident participation in departmental and
institutional committees.Recruitment and Training
- Coordinate resident staff participation in the residency
candidate interview and evaluation process. Assume responsibility
for arranging the conferences on recruitment days including grand
rounds (this may be delegated as appropriate).
- Assist the Program Director and attending faculty with new
- Serve as a resource person to advise the Program Director and
Graduate Med Education Committee regarding resident perspectives
about new directions, budgeting, or other questions that may
- Assist with orientation of the next chief resident to their
roles and responsibilitiesTeaching and Educational Activities
- Help identify, update, and improve topics for the Core
Curriculum teaching conferences given by the faculty. Select
qualified speakers to present at these meetings. Schedule and
facilitate weekly board review sessions applying the use of
innovative teaching techniques and technology such as audience
response, flipped classroom, talking stick and other team based
- Coordinate and assign topics for resident participation in the
Core Curriculum to ensure that each resident gives a minimum of two
formal presentations during each year of residency training.
Schedule rotation quizzes and medical jeopardy competitions to
ensure that important concepts are repeated assimilated by
- Identify resident availability and schedule residents to
present at noon & interdepartmental conferences, morning report
(inpatient and ambulatory) journal clubs, grand rounds, patient
safety conferences, medical student teaching, other teaching
conferences, and other educational activities, as needed to support
the educational mission.
- Assist the Program Director in maintaining up-to-date resident
teaching libraries in the blackboard website (this duty may be
delegated to a junior resident in each area).
- Distribute teaching materials such as conference slides, slides
sent by outside presenters, and proficiency testing materials among
the resident staff.
- Administer and monitor end of rotation quizzes, jeopardy, HVC
teaching sessions and provide the results to the program in a
- Participate and assist in evaluation of residents including
OSCE's, chart stimulated recall, Transitions of care and sign-outs
etc.Ambulatory Teaching and Educational Activities
- Serve as a faculty supervisor on one of the resident teams
- At least 1-2 half-day precepting clinic sessions per week
staffing resident patients in the PAR Community Care Clinic.
Adjustments will be made to schedule when on inpatient rotations
- Organize, schedule, and contribute to weekly Ambulatory Report,
Academic Day and Pre-clinic Conferences
- Bi-Weekly chart review with interns on Ambulatory rotations who
have their continuity panels at PAR CCC
- Coordinate and facilitate Thursday Morning Academic half days
with the Associate Program Director.
- Co-direct the Resilience for Residents course. Determine the
content and activities and share responsibility for coordinating
and facilitating sessions. These activities could include: visits
to the State Botanical Gardens, art tours, narrative medicine
sessions, poetry interpretation, and nature walks, among other
- Participate in and shape the curriculum of the clinic immersion
blocks, various ambulatory thematic blocks for residents.
- Shape the curriculum and function of clinic resident-attending
- Doctor of MedicineRequired License/Certifications:
- Current certification in the specialty by the American Board or
the American Osteopathic Board, or Board eligible
- Current medical license in the State of Georgia Keyphrases:
internal medicine jobs, internal emergency medicine jobs, internal
medicine specialist jobs, internal medicine critical care jobs,
internal medicine geriatrics jobs, internal medicine pediatrics
jobs, pediatric internal medicine jobs
Keywords: Piedmont Healthcare, Atlanta , Chief Medical Resident, Healthcare , Atlanta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!