Lead Release Train Engineer
Company: Cox Automotive
Location: Stone Mountain
Posted on: November 19, 2023
The Lead Release Train Engineer's (RTE) primary purpose is to
support one or more Agile Release Trains (ART) by steering them to
success while navigating the complexity of delivering software,
infrastructure, and operational capabilities in scaled Agile
delivery systems. The RTE's focus is to enable the delivery of
value by leading and orchestrating system-level events, processes &
practices, and continuous improvement. This RTE will be working in
a technology operations environment that is actively transforming
into new and novel Ways of Working suitable for an operations
Release Train Feature Roadmap and Planning
- Facilitates the coordinated preparation of release planning for
the release train. This includes:
- Collaborating with Engineering, Operations, and Product leaders
in prioritizing backlog for the next quarterly planning cycle.
- Partnering with the Engineering, Operations, and Product
leaders in the refinement of backlog to be considered in the next
quarterly planning cycle to meet the Definition of Ready.
- Facilitating ART (Agile Release Train) communication and
orchestration with stakeholders during the definition, discovery,
and delivery of priorities across the space.
- Ensuring effective communication and collaboration for and
during each quarterly planning cycle
- When needed, embracing change to the ART's quarterly plan and
the inspect & adapt impacts of those changes to the delivery goals
for the ART
Release Train Transparency
- Leads ART in remaining transparent to itself, the teams on the
train, and to the organization through:
- Backlog Management and Rally integrity for visible and
transparent reporting. May include the collection of metrics,
visualizing the flow of work through the system, investment mix
reporting, and other reporting as needed by the release train or
- Facilitation and continuous improvement of periodic ART Reviews
with organizational leaders and stakeholders to provide clarity on
the expected value delivery and to gain stakeholder feedback on
changes in direction the release train may need to take.
- Facilitation of both delivery and operational outcomes for the
ART. Includes designing and facilitating events that make delivery
outcomes and operational performance measures transparent for
conversation, feedback, and improvement.
- Leads the ART in the orchestration of major feature releases
and ongoing delivery of value to stakeholders where multiple teams,
release trains, or solution groups are involved by hosting
cross-system orchestration events as needed.
- Coordinates the ART in the orchestration and delivery of large
program level initiatives by partnering with Program and Project
managers (PMs) to visualize delivery progress across the ART's
teams. Partner with PMs to ensure that Program and Project plans
are updated to reflect reality in alignment with team
- Takes ownership and accountability in partnership with ART
Scrum Masters by resolving or reporting escalated issues involving
risk, or dependency orchestration that may be blocking the ART's
ability to deliver on its priorities. Scrum Masters and teams
facilitate the resolution of impediments, dependencies, and risks
within their span of influence.
- Promotes continuous improvement through the facilitation of ART
Retrospectives quarterly, or more often as needed, to improve
backlog management, release train reviews, sprint reviews, or other
release train cadences.
- Serves as an active member in the RTE Community of Practice by
helping peers learn new techniques, and improve technical and
quality practices. Work with RTE community to determine ways to
help ARTs across the organization improve cross train and solution
group orchestration and collaboration.
- The RTE will have a number of direct supports by providing
coaching, individual performance management, and career growth and
development support and guidance for team members.
Other Operational Functions
- The RTE may be called upon to lead efforts that impact the ART
but may not require priorities being added to team backlogs.
- Partner in the planning and achievement of the delivery
system's mission and strategic priorities.
- Facilitate events that go beyond delivery and into the
operational excellence side of the organization. This includes
guiding engineering leaders to define, baseline, measure, and
provide a narrative storyline behind the operational metrics and
opportunities for improvement.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field and 6+
years of Scrum/Agile experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of Scaled Agile Practitioner experience in
- Must understand the difference between "being Agile" and "doing
- Understands and practically applies Lean thinking in a context
- Servant leader and nuanced communicator with strong
relationship management skills who can:
- Listen and support teams and leaders in problem-identification
and decision making
- Encourage an environment that values mutual respect, openness,
- Persuade by influence rather than authority
- Understand and empathize with others
- Shows patience and adaptability in an unpredictable technology
About Cox Automotive
At Cox Automotive, people of every background are driven by their
passion for mobility, innovation and community. We transform the
way the world buys, sells, owns and uses cars, accelerating the
industry with global powerhouse brands like Autotrader, Kelley Blue
Book, Manheim and more. What's more, we do it all with an emphasis
on employee growth and happiness. Drive your future forward and
join Cox Automotive today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing
so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations
across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare,
our family of businesses - which includes Cox Automotive and Cox
Communications - is forging a better future for us all. Ready to
make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance
(medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid
days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness
days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be
offered, visit our benefits page .
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified
applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment
without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or
creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy),
sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental
disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity,
citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cox
provides reasonable accommodations when requested by a qualified
applicant or employee with disability, unless such accommodations
would cause an undue hardship.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations:
Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally
engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our
applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or
send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or
charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Keywords: Cox Automotive, Atlanta , Lead Release Train Engineer, Engineering , Stone Mountain, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!