Principal Frontend Engineer (USA Remote)
Posted on: August 7, 2022
100% REMOTE (Must be U.S. based)
When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a
recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than
20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to
promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas
and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions,
publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by
Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin
Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea,
Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United
Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues
are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in
education. Come join us, and let's make change together.
Turnitin is looking for an experienced front-end engineer to help
us build user-facing applications used by millions of students,
teachers, and administrators. This is a high-impact role.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the Engineering, Product,
UX, Quality Assurance, and Support teams
- Implement end-to-end solutions for Turnitin's next generation
of academic integrity products
- Break down large projects and features into independently
workable/shippable milestones and stories
- Write readable, testable, and maintainable code
- Contribute throughout the front-end stack, developing features
applications that enable users to submit, view, and interact with
documents they have written within the context of our integrity
- Make contributions to both the short- and long-term development
of our products and team processes
- Be passionate about the software you build, and the way that
you build it. - We're a small, high-output, largely self-directed
team that prides itself on both the quality of the code we produce
and on our commitment to improving our processes along the
- Be opinionated enough to speak up when you think we could be
doing something better than we're doing it now -- and tactful and
empathetic enough to communicate this in a way that brings people
along instead of distancing them.
- Be curious enough to try new approaches to problems, in code,
architecture, and organizational matters. - Don't be afraid to try
something that doesn't work, or doesn't work as well as you might
like - but also know when to quit.
- Be self-directed enough to seek out and understand not just the
'what' of what we're building, but also the reason we're building
it - who is it for, how does it help them - and be informed by this
knowledge to make your own decisions, large and small.
- Be a proactive communicator - both to teammates and our
collaborators from other engineering teams, product, customer
support, sales, you get the picture. - Our work impacts a lot of
people, and there are a lot of stakeholders who need to maintain
context alongside us as progress / decisions are made.
- Be practical enough to strike a balance between doing things
'perfectly' and doing things 'well enough to ship'. - That is, you
should know what an ideal project or application looks like, and
also know when diminishing returns get in the way of bringing a
better experience to our users.
- Be well-versed in understanding large feature requests and
breaking them down into smaller, more manageable chunks of
independently shippable work - - and helping to organize the team
to collaborate on working together or in parallel to get them
- 7+ years professional software engineering experience, at least
developing scalable, performant applications
- Be well-versed in best practices in writing efficient,
understandable CSS and accessible, standards-compliant HTML.
- Understand frontend performance
- Familiarity with current frontend build systems (Ex: Webpack,
- Well-versed in writing and running unit- and integration
- Experienced using Git as part of a collaborative team,
including branching, pull request, and code review processes
- Accustomed to iterative development practices - breaking
problems down, shipping small pieces rather than long-running
Nice to have
- Some experience with web-components and/or micro-frontends
- Specific experience developing add-ons for G-suite or Office
- Experience working full-stack in one or more server-side
technologies, preferably to develop APIs. - Our edge service[s] are
mostly written in Java/Spring Boot and Python
- Browser-driven end-to-end testing using a tool like Selenium or
Cypress, and/or frameworks that operate on top of them (we
currently use Nightwatch)
- Working with containers in development and/or deployment
- Experience working in distributed / microservices
- Automation (Jenkins or other CI/CD)
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and
meaningfully improve learning outcomes. -
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity
and improve learning outcomes by - putting educators and learners
at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are
constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables
them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin.
It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we
work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower
teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate
effectively, and celebrate each other's successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace
diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it's unrealistic for candidates to
fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. - We encourage you to
apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know
that skills evolve over time. If you're willing to learn and evolve
alongside us, join our team! - -
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have
equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a
Keywords: Turnitin, Atlanta , Principal Frontend Engineer (USA Remote), Engineering , Atlanta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!