Consultant, Sales and Use Tax Research
Company: Ryan, LLC
Posted on: May 24, 2020
The Tax Research and Exemption Certificate Solutions Consultant
will have two primary roles. The consultant will perform tax
research for software solutions and analyze sales and use tax
exemption certificates for validity as part of the Software
Division's exemption certificate outsourcing service.
The Consultant will perform multistate sales and use tax research
in support of maintaining a database of tax determinations. Through
an analysis of tax statutes, regulations, and state issued
guidance, the Consultant will make taxability determinations,
formulate and compile opinions regarding tax ramifications to
complex transactions, draft summaries of tax determinations and
monitor changes in taxability. The Consultant will also maintain a
knowledge base of current taxability issues. In addition to
researching different tax laws and related guidance, the Consultant
may at times be required to interact with taxing authorities via
phone and email.
Exemption Certificate Management
The Consultant will perform sales and use tax exemption certificate
collection, validation, storage, and reporting for clients. During
the performance of his or her duties, the Consultant will be
required to exercise regular discretion and independent judgement
in order to comply with multistate sales and use tax exemption
certificate laws, regulations, and publications. Further, the
Consultant will be required to make decisions about sales and use
tax certificates by first comparing and evaluating possible courses
of action after considering various possibilities. The Consultant
will also interact with all levels of the team (Associates,
Managers, and Principals). This position requires frequent
professional correspondence with Ryan clients and their customers
via email and telephone while performing his or her duties.
An ideal candidate will have the qualifications to perform both
roles.Duties and responsibilities, as they align to Ryan's Key
- Create a positive team member experience.
- Be a team player and work under strict deadlines in a
fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Participate in knowledge transfer with implementation team to
understand procedures defined for new ECM outsourcing clients.
- Correspond with client customers regarding various exemption
certificate matters while representing the Firm and the Firm's
clients in a professional manner.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of client specific
service process procedures and documentation.
- Independently organize and execute timely campaign requests for
missing, invalid, expired and expiring certificates on behalf of
- Correspond with clients and/or their customers to explain the
status of exemption certificates (e.g., valid, missing, wrong form,
no signature, no registration number).
Tax Research Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently research multistate taxability through various
sources, including legal online databases and Department of Revenue
- Make taxability determinations and formulate opinions regarding
tax ramifications to complex transactions.
- Document analysis and tax determinations.
- Analyze industry-specific tax requirements and exemptions.
- Assist in the development of comprehensive tax documentation
and methodology using advanced technology.
- Analyze and document current, multistate tax laws and law
- Maintain effective and efficient communication with state and
local tax agencies, SMEs, and other stakeholders through written
and verbal channels.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Exemption Certificate Management (ECM) Duties and
Using ControlPoint software, the Consultant will perform the
- Prepare end-to-end exemption certificate collection,
validation, and reporting process narratives and diagrams showing
the compliance process flow.
- Review submitted exemption certificates to determine status
(e.g. valid or invalid) per jurisdiction statutes.
- Generate daily, weekly, monthly, and annual reports on
exemption certificate review activity.
- Ability to analyze reporting data and help create client
specific reporting as needed.
Other Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Be strong at record-keeping and have good organizational
- Organize and prioritize multiple tasks and complete them under
- Proactively provide internal feedback for software, service
improvements, and tax research databases.
- Perform and interpret exemption certificate research, as
- Provide support for client billings and taxability
- Attend team meetings and other duties as requested.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor's Degree in accounting, business, computer
technology or related field.
- 1-3 years' experience performing Multistate Sales and Use Tax
Research. Ideally, applicant has utilized research tools such as
CCH and sources such as statutes, regulations, Department of
Revenue guidance etc. to make determinations as to the
applicability of Sales and Use tax to different goods and services
transactions and has performed this research for most, if not all,
states. Master's Degree in Tax or JD preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft applications required (Excel,
Word, Outlook), Internet navigation and research, and an overall
strong background/familiarity with learning new systems is
- A Consultant applicant will need to have advanced knowledge of
Internet and research software and a strong working knowledge of
tax research tools such as CCH and Lexis/Nexis.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid driver's license required.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Standard indoor working environment
- Occasional long periods of sitting while working at
- Position requires regular interaction with employees at all
levels of the Firm and interface with clients as necessary
- Some travel may be required.
Equal Opportunity Employer: disability/veteran
Keywords: Ryan, LLC, Atlanta , Consultant, Sales and Use Tax Research, Accounting, Auditing , Atlanta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!